The winter months are rapidly approaching, and as the weather gets colder, you might decide to use that fire place of yours. If you’re a new home owner and have never used a fireplace before, here are some safety tips and guidelines for you.
Have Your Chimney Inspected Before Use
This is important because you want to make sure that there are no cracks in your chimney, and that ventilation is being distributed properly. Chimneys create smoke, which can lead to carbon monoxide and you certainly don’t want to risk poisoning yourself. Although you might not want to spend the extra money on a chimney specialist, having your fireplace inspected and cleaned every year is definitely worth it.
Never Leave Your Fire Place Unattended
‘Smokey the Bear’ taught you this one – and this rule definitely applies to your home. Since fireplaces draw in some air from the outside, all it can take is the right gust of wind to create embers that blow into your home. It’s imperative you never leave your fire unattended because in the matter of seconds a fire can get out of control. Make sure to do some research online before starting you fire, and make sure your home is equipped with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Keep Small Children Away From The Fire
Making S’mores indoors might seem like a great idea, but be sure to supervise your children around a fire. Make an effort to keep flammable materials 3 feet away from the fire or heat source. Parental supervisor is dire for children around a fire.
Have A Fire Extinguisher Near By
Fire extinguishers exist to put out small fires in an emergency. Make sure to have a fire extinguisher in a place easily accessible in case an emergency arises. Most homes require to have fire extinguishers in the home regardless, so make sure to know where your fire extinguishers are located.